Thursday, July 26, 2007

Solitude






I thought it was such a coincidence that while I was away, in solitude, that my reading in my "Simple Abundance" book was titled "The importance of Solitude" Hummmm...Lord, are you trying to tell me something? Here are a few lines that struck me as I was reading (from the porch at my cabin as I sipped a glass of wine and listened to the rain fall)



"I believe that it's essential for busy woman, by which I mean all f us, to pause a moment-this moment- to reconsider the entire subject of solitude. Too many of us approach time alone as if it were a frivolous, expendable luxury rather than a creative necessity. Why should this be so?"




"Certain springs are tapped only when we are alone. The artist knows he must be alone to create; the writer to work out his thoughts; the musician to compose; the saint to pray. But woman need solitude in order to find again the true essence of themselves"


(VB this picture is for you)

"The problem is in how to still the soul in the midst of its activities. In fact the problem is how to feel the soul"




Take some time alone, you will be so glad you did. It really gave me time to think about what I want for my life and to realize that whatever it is I want I can achieve. I just need to be prepared to work hard for it, make a plan and stay focused. Nothing great is every easy, but man is it worth it.





We had 4 days and 3 nights in pure peace. It was a perfect little getaway. Away from the stresses of everyday life. Time to sit quietly and reflect on all the wonderful things in my life. I forget to be grateful when I am running around day to day just trying to keep up with the demands society puts on us and the ones I put on myself. I need to keep telling myself "Simplicity wins". I try to remember in the midst of a day that I make choices and those very choices will determine how simple or difficult my life, or at least that day will be. Seems pretty basic, I know. But we all do it to ourselves. I am hearing and reading so much more about that lately. People feeling so overwhelmed and busy. I can't do that. I need my time to just "be". It is so important to take time to slow down and have time to collect your thoughts, time to dream, time to appreciate the important things in life.



The boys had a great time too. I think they really like it up there. Who wouldn't? Musashi loves to run around in the yard. It is so nice to see him run so freely and get some energy out. At home, our backyard is so small he doesn't get the chance to do that. Chili the mellow dog that he is just hangs out as he would if we were home but he likes to hang on the porch and growl at the birds and squirrels. I am always glad to have them with me. I get to be alone...but with the company of my 2 best friends. Maybe someday I will actually get to enjoy my cabin with friends and loved ones....but up until now, its been just me and my boys! And that's A-OK with me!










2 comments:

Carol Dunton said...

I love the pictures...a photographic 'scrapbook' of your trip. You have a way with the camera that captures what you are living! I AM going to visit your cabin with you! ; )
VB

Nonnie said...

Looks so peaceful and inviting!!

I have read several books that say exactly what you are talking about.

Seems our culture is one of the few where women take time to Retreat, Regroup, Refresh and REPLENISH! You can't give, give, give and never do these things. Otherwise you have no more to give. And that comes in quiet times......solitude!

Thanks for the visual refreshing! :)