Sunday, October 21, 2007

A beautiful morning for a hike




Oh what a beautiful morning, oh what a beautiful day! (My grandma used to sing me that song when I was little) Anyway, I woke up before the sun to get ready and meet my friends from my singles group for an exhilarating hike on South Mountain. It was a fantastic experience that I enjoyed tremendously. Physically it was harder for me than I originally thought it would be but emotionally and spiritually it was more than I could have hoped for.
The morning was perfect. It was cool and breezy and the air felt wonderful. We set out at 6:45am and hiked for 4 hours. The hike we did was Mormon Loop at South Mountain. It was an awesome trail. The beginning was a lot of inclines and then we went down in to a valley, called "Hidden Valley" it was cool and quiet. We took a 15 minute rest there and then we were off again to finish our hike before Mr. Sun got too strong.




The hike was a total of 6 miles (so they said, it felt more like 10 to me and my legs) We finished around 11. My legs felt like jello but I felt invigorated to have accomplished a hike of this length. I used to hike all the time but the past year or two have gotten away from it. It is something I really enjoy and am going to make a part of my life again. This group goes every Saturday so I am going to try to take off one Saturday a month to join them.


This is called "fat mans pass" it should be called "fat man can't pass" We all were laughing so hard. I thought I was going to have to be pulled through it! It was the hiking leaders way of being funny. Little did we know there was another way, we could have hiked "over" fat mans pass. It was fun. I had a wonderful time and can't wait to get out and hike again soon!

3 comments:

Carol Dunton said...

You go, girl! That is a beautiful hike, 'fat man's pass' and all! The views, the desert, the vegetation are so curious, new and interesting! Congrats on making it...it really is a hike! Doesn't it sort of renew your spirit when you do something like that??
: )

Cory said...

Man I am even exhausted thinking about it :) I used to love to get out and do some hiking but I haven't been in a really long time either. Good for you for making it a priority!

cassie said...

it sounds like such a fun time, karyn! being in nature and enjoying her for her splendor always makes for a good time. i am glad that you are going to get to do it more often. i am jealous (but my legs aren't!)