Saturday, October 13, 2007

This and That

I have been hearing a lot of people talking lately about change. This is not an easy thing for me. It never has been. I wish I was someone who embraced change but instead it makes me quite tense and stressed. So this is what I am working on right now in my life, adjusting to change. I read a new blog last night and it was very well said. It was written by Cassie, my dear friend Jessamyn's sister. It is inevitable so I might as well try harder to embrace it. I have been going through a lot of change lately and although most is good stuff, I still have a hard time with it.

My new job is going great. I really like it a lot. It is so much work and there is so much to learn. Some days, most days, I feel like I am working 10-12 hours and hardly accomplishing anything! But I know that little by little I will get there and start to see improvements. So the change to my life outside work has been dramatic. At my last job I was at a desk all day with maybe 4 hours of work to do in an 8 hour day. That left plenty of time for me to do my online banking, check my favorite blogs, read a magazine, catch up on phone calls etc. Now I am feeling like I have no time to get "life stuff" done. So basically for the first time in 5 years, I feel like the rest of the working world. Although for part of that time I was working 2 jobs between Real Estate and Starbucks I still had more flexibility. So I am working on being more organized, that definitely helps a lot. And planning social things, since I am no good at all at being spontaneous. Each day will get better and I will adjust appropriately I am sure.

I did make it up to the cabin this week on my 2 days off. The experience was very different than most of my trips up there. My parents came with us, and although it was nice to spend time with them, they are not really "cabin" people. So instead of reading, crocheting, watching a DVD, cooking a yummy meal in the crock pot, sitting in front of the fire like I normally would. I was out in town, going out for each meal, went to see a movie at the theatre etc. So it was good, just not my kind of cabin time. I am trying to get a few days off at the end of the month to go up and do it "my way"

Until then, I will keep striving to be better at my job, to be a better friend, a better dog mommy, a better daughter, a brighter spirit and be more open to change.

4 comments:

Carol Dunton said...

Oh dear girl,
Welcome to the world of the 'balancing act' !! These scales tip ever-so-slightly and just when one thinks they have them equalized, something tips the pan askew! I don't think that I know of anyone who really likes change... I know I tend to like things as they are. But as you said, change is enevitable and something that we should all learn to embrace to a certain extent. You are going through many changes..both personally and professionally. Stay true to your inner spirit. And heck, I'll have you over for some chowda' some night!

jessamyn said...

you are a beautiful friend...I should know...you are one of mine! i know that there is a lot of change happening in your life, and I am proud of you for taking the steps to open up your arms a little bit wider in order to welcome it all into your world in the loving and accepting way that is perfectly YOU. i love you.

Nonnie said...

Just make sure you are taking time for Karyn in all that "better friend, better this ........"

You are wonderful the way you are! :) so...enjoy the changes but be kind to yourself in the process! :)

Cory said...

I guess "change" is in the air! I am not one to really embrace change either. In fact I think it gives me un upset stomach to even think about it sometimes. Sounds like you have a whole lot going on in your world. From what I know of you, you are a tender caring spirit with a whole lot of love in your heart. I am learning that it isn't as overwhelming with the perspective of taking it a day at a time.:) Hang in there!