Thursday, May 10, 2007

Figs...fresh figs!



I just adore my fig tree. I planted it the weekend I bought my house. Exactly 3 years ago. It was only 3 feet tall when I got it. Now, three years later it has tripled in size. It is covered with figs! I hope I can get to them this year before the birds do. Last year I would say they got 80% and i got 20%. I think 50/50 is more than fair since I won the home with the tree and all.

My sweet friend Jessamyn, always tells me how much she loves this tree. I think its the large leaves that she is first attracted to. Jesse, just wait till you get to taste a fresh fig...then you will really love this tree.

My dad grew up with figs in Italy. He loves them. In NY there are a few older generation Italian folks that have fig trees..my grandmother being one of them. My dad and uncle help take care of the tree for her. (In NY they have to be covered in the winter) So growing up Dad would always bring home fresh figs from Grandma's house. I grew to love them too. When I bought my house (with a yard) I knew I was planting a fig tree. I had no idea it would do this well but thought it was worth a shot.

And now I have a plentiful amount of fresh figs! This tree also provides a great deal of shade to my otherwise very sunny backyard. I would say its perfect..a perfect tree indeed!

5 comments:

Carol Dunton said...

Oh yes! It IS a perfect tree! I only realized about 5 years ago that figs would grow out here...and I was so surprised! Why isn't this BIGGER NEWS?? I find them to be so mystical! A favorite thing to make with them is to place a piece of blue cheese or camembert on a plate, drizzle honey over it, surround it with chunks of fress figs and walnuts and crackers...and indulge with a glass of wine! It's decadent! Because of the figs! You have a little gold mine, there my good lady! How lucky! The tree seems to feel it is lucky as well - look how happy it is!! : ) What a treasure!

Simplicity Wins said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Simplicity Wins said...

Carol...Sounds yummy! When my figs are ripe I will have you over to help me prepare and enjoy this decadent treat! Thanks for the "recipe"

jessamyn said...

I just checked your blog and was so happy to see all of your posts! I had such a fun time visiting you here today...and the tree? I love it even more. It has been a while since I gazed at that tree...I think it is time for a visit. I love you Karyn.

Nonnie said...

My Mom had a fig tree too! I don't think Jessamyn ever got to partake in those, but I remember them well. I'll have to ask my Dad if it is still there and bearing fruit!! You may have to have a FIG Party!!! :)