Thursday, June 28, 2007

Sweet Herbs

Balm brings you sympathy and Marjoram joy
Sage is long life..Sweet Woodruff augurs well for health-
A blessing richer far than wealth.
While Lavender means deep devotion,
Herbs of sweet omen, Rosemary conveys
Affection and remembrance all your days.
May Heaven and Earth and Man combine
To keep these blessings ever thine.

-Rachel Page Elliot



As a reward of completing the first of my big projects I treated my clean kitchen table to this wonderfully fragrant display of herbs. The ones I have had outside are doing okay and might make it through the summer but are having a tought time with this heat. So before the stores stop carrying them, I went and bought these yummy herbs. I love to cook with fresh herbs, and these should last me all summer long. I had so much fun putting this little arrangement together. I have a total of 6 herbs some that are new to me. I have chives, basil, peppermint (love it in my lemonade & mojito's are YUM)), Greek oregano, sage and pineapple mint. So the pineapple mint seemed a little different and there was not much left to choose from and it smelled so good. When I got these guys home I started planting them. I snipped off a leave of the delicious spelling pineapple mint and a rush of memories came flooding back to me. We had this growing wild at the home I grew up in on Cook street. What an added bonus! Now my kitchen looks and smells great AND I get to refelct on my childhood. Everytime I walk in that room my herb bouquet brings a smile to my face.

1 comment:

Carol Dunton said...

OOOOOOOOOHhhhh! This is too sweet!
You know how you inspired me to create my own herb garden earlier this year...and I am LOVING this littel gem in your adorable kitchen! I love those bee-hive planters---aren't they the cutest? And what a great selection of herbs...which is the one on the right with the green and white leaves? Will you do us a favor and include this little gem now and then in your blogs so we can see how it grows?? Yeah, for you girl!